30 March 2012

Personal Photography Project // Levitation Photos

I absolutely adore levitation photos, but have never tried them before. One sunny day while myself and a few friends were chilling out at Second Beach with hammocks we decided to give them a go.


Here's what we came up with...


Above is my friend, Bruce. The poor thing spent so long jumping and leaping to my commands and directions. He got some very strange glances from onlookers. But not once did he complain and we got some fantastic results from all his efforts. The one above is my favourite.

Below is a photo Bruce snapped of me trying a horizontal levitating pose.


Levitation shots are really fun and easy. Here's what you do..

* Set your camera to a high shutter speed and continual burst (if it has it).
* Get your subject to jump and keep their faces calm (not strained from the jump) and their hands/arms/feet in a certain position (i.e. in the first photo of Bruce I got him to keep his feet flat to make him look like he's standing on nothing... but it all depends on the position).
* It's really important to catch the photo while they are on the up of the jump. If you catch them on the way down their hair and clothing fly upwards, ruining the illusion.
* Try out lots of different poses. We tried running in the air, jumps into handstands, horizontal leans and more. Some people even get amazing results when they jump into lotus position.
* Make sure your model is agile. The neater they can keep their body with straight legs, high jumps and good muscular control, the better. The more all over the place they look in the photo, the more it looks like a jump rather than a levitation. And they shouldn't be the type who are scared to fall. In a lot of these poses we ended up face first into the sand, but it was really fun :D

Below is a series of one of my leaps. You can see the middle left photo is the best for levitation as it looks like I'm levitating forward, rather than the photo in the middle right where I'm obviously jumping because I'm on the downward part of the leap.



You should definitely give them a try. You will get weird looks and will probably be breathless by the end, but it's definitely worth it :)

Aoife x

4 comments:

  1. Woh, trippy! These are awesome!

    - Sarah
    A Girl In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great. I am going to try this out and hopefully I can get some really cool pictures. So glad that you put in instructions on how to do this. I also want to say thanks for following on twitter. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic! i love these; great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, this looks like so much fun and the pictures are grandelishious!! can't wait to try this, too!

    love
    yaga

    Shiny Bubbles

    ReplyDelete