20 March 2012

How to Tuesdays // No sewing Machine? No Problem!


I'm an avid vintage shopper, but sometimes the garments have to be altered. Unfortunately, I'm not in the position right now to own a big heavy sewing machine, so I have to be a little more creative with my alterations.
I did a guest post for the lovely LolaDee (who is unfortunately experiencing some technical difficulties with her blog right now) before where I altered a vintage dress with the uses of scraps of fabric and buttons. The results are shown below.
(Yes, this was also back when I had coral coloured hair :D)

This time I needed to alter a vintage romper I purchased for $15 which I loved,  but I felt the length was unflattering for me. The legs were too long and square for my liking. I decided to raise them up and angle them slightly. 

This time I'm going to be using a fabric bonding web. It's not as adjustable as using buttons and loops, but it's still easy to undo if you want the garment back to it's original shape.

All you need for this is:



  • Stitch Witchery (or other brand of fabric bonding web)
  • Iron
  • A damp cloth
  • Scissors
The process is really quick and simple....


1. Turn your garment inside out and fold up the hem to where you would like it.
2. Cut a piece of Stitch Witchery and insert it in between the fold.
3. Place a damp cloth over the fold.
4. Set the iron down over the Stitch Witchery and damp cloth. Keep in place for 10 seconds, then lift and repeat on a new section. Don't slide the iron, just hold in place and lift when necessary.

And that's it! Once it's cool double check gently if the entire hem has bonded, if not just touch up a few spots.






Make sure to check that the material of the garment is suitable to use with the bonding web. Most things are. You can even use this to turn up the ends of jeans! And it's usable with machine and dry cleaning. Brilliant!


Aoife x

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips Aoife. I always know in my head what I want clothes to look like but can never get the darts/cuts right. Love your before and afters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm the same, especially with vintage clothes that need a bit of tweeking. I wish I knew all the techniques behind darts. I would love to be able to really change the shape of some of my clothes to fit just so :)

      Delete