Friday, January 14, 2011

Dye, Dye, Dye!

(***My blue dress was featured on A Beautiful Mess***)

It sucks when you stain one of your beloved pieces of clothing... trust me, I know! But they can be saved.

I've had the dress in the picture above for years. I adore it. But one day while exploring I got loads of silly grass stains all over it. They wouldn't wash out. So I picked up a box of Tropical Green dye from Dylon and it completely covered them (the green isn't as acid as the picture shows, it's actually a softer lime but my light has a yellow tint to it so it looks harsher than it really is).
I put some colourful large buttons on the top, which are some personal accessories I made for myself for Canada (post about those soon).


I posted about this dress before here. It was a bargain find but I hung it up next to a pair of new jeans and it became stained with denim dye all down the front.
I dyed it Bahama Blue and made a maroon ribbon belt around the waist.

I've been getting alot a questions about this coat. This is my 'Harry Potter' coat (or Red Riding Hood, as others call it). I bought in on a sale rack in New Look. One of the good things about living in my town; it's great to find little gems that no one else wants because it's too 'weird' ;)
The only trouble with this coat is the colour is dreadful. It's very hard to describe, almost an orange-red with a hint of salmon pink and seems to look worse when you wear brown with it (even the shape looks dreadful in the stock photo). So I decided to dye it Ruby Red, which was a limited edition colour and no longer available from the from the Dylon website.

6 days until I leave! Sooo excited :D

Aoife x

P.S. I decided to send the first two photos into the Project Restyle challenge.




7 comments:

  1. Such a great idea! I am a spiller and I never thought I should just dye it a new color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so fab - Canada best watch out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I didn't know that fabric dyes were that awesome! I seriously want to try this because I have a lot of old, white, dresses that I wouldn't wear again because of all the stains! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool restyle projects!
    -Allison Kaye
    http://www.craftedlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, great job! Love the red belt on the blue dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. kudos to you! what great transformations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's such a great idea! And you really picked excellent colors for those dresses. :D

    ReplyDelete