So yesterday I shut off my phone and turned off the laptop for most of the day to get some designs done. More experimenting with stuff than anything else really. The most useful thing I learned was what a difference materials make. I bought some felt on a whim in Tesco to make some cupcake boxes but the cuts were too small so I ventured to my new favorite craft shop 'Tangled Up' to get some bigger sheets of felt. Yes, they were bigger but to my surprise the Tesco brand were way, way better. Now if only Tesco would make their sheets bigger :(
I made a few patterns, one for a zombie bunny and one for a bag. I was watching the third episode of the new series of Tru Blood while I was sewing and this gave me the inspiration for my fang bows.
Here's a few pics:
This was my first attempt at the zombie bunny with the felt I don't like. He's cute, but I think I'll keep him for myself to put on some random item of clothing as I wouldn't like to sell the little guy.
This was my second attempt with the Tesco felt. Much better. I like this guy alot ... he's going to go on a few bags I've been playing around with on the sewing machine. Might make some brooches from these as well and also play with the size and scale. They will eventually all be made from green felt with more zombie characteristics put through them, but I didn't want to waste my small cuts of felt on experimentations :p
My first attempt at the Fang bow. It's still a working progress as I might get some beads to drop from the fangs.
This is a bigger and prettier bow I attached the fangs to. I may play with the fangs more as I feel you wouldn't exactly know they were vampire teeth unless it was pointed out to you.
So, I've learned that most of my time is spent on experimentation. A note for myself for the future. But I know that once I have something figured out it can take me 10 minutes to complete when there's no mistakes, backtracking, or wondering where I can tuck that little piece out of the way.
Big smiley happy waves :)